Sunday, July 18, 2010

Podcasts

I love my job (and hate it as equally).  Truth be told, it's an easy job, pays extremely well, offers great benefits, but the real perk is the fact that you can wear headphones while at work.  That in itself is the greatest benefit of my job.  Where else can one sit in a cubicle all day and listen to iPods, mp3 players, CD players, et cetera?!  Well . . .

For over a year I was what was known, in the company, as a SME (or Subject Matter Expert).  Within that time frame, I ran back and forth from department to department, correcting potential mistakes, performing uptrainings, researching errors, and just plain ole' sucking up to the man.  What sucked about it was the fact that I had little time to sit and relax and enjoy the many splendors of Internet downloads.  I had music on my iPod of course, I always have, but I like stories (short stories in particular) and rarely had the opportunity to listen to one.  Do you know how frustrating it is when you're at the climax of a story and someone taps you on the shoulder asking "How many orders are left?  Are we going home early or not?"  So I kept my iPod filled with music and the occasional short-short story.  Then, as it were, fate intervened and saw fit to promote me to the pharmacy technician department where . . . guess what . . . I'm no longer a SME and am now expected to sit rather comfortably while processing prescriptions!  Yay!  More money PLUS less work PLUS eight full hours of audio enjoyment EQUALS:

    

So, I was able to hop back into it . . . the world of podcasts . . . fictional podcasts.

For years I've been subscribing to a number of podcasts which feature fiction--mainly in the science fiction, fantasy and horror markets.  I'm so excited, literally, to go to work.  However, yesterday I was let down . . .

But why?  You may (or may not) inquire?

Because . . . after a year and a half of minute tickles of pleasure from fiction podcasts, I downloaded a larger number of stories and episodes from various podcasting communities and a number of the tracks didn't download correctly.  And so there I was, at work, ever so joyful about the Batman download when . . . oh, I only have episodes 2,3,5,6,7 . . . where's 1 and 4?!  But, it's all good now . . . all episodes have been downloaded and uploaded onto my iPod.  So on Monday, at work, I will rejoice as I am once again able to listen to fiction podcats, unfettered and uninterrupted by fellow employees!

As such . . . here's a list of some of my favorite podcasts.

NUMBER 1 (which means it's my favorite) . . . Darker Projects
Darker Projects offers an ever expanding list of projects presented as audio dramas.  It's not just stories read with wonderful narration, they're actual dramas featuring various voice actors and dazzling sound effects.  And their presentations are done extremely well.  They offer everything from science fiction to fantasy to horror to just funny and weird. 

Undoubtedly, their most popular dram is The Byron Chronicles which dramatizes the life of a mortal-immortal who resides in Portland, Oregon (everything is happening in Portland, Oregon these days . . . isn't it?!) where he encounters both friends and foes in all manner of creation: vampires, zombies, werewolves, demons, Satan, angels, immortals, Santa Claus, et cetera.  Definitely worth checking out.

Another cool presentation of theirs (which I have yet to listen to because episode 1 and 4 wouldn't download!) is Batman: No Man's Land.  Someone finally had the bright idea of taking the ever popular Batman: No Man's Land story and turned it into an audio drama.  Um, dude, I don't care what you may think of such geeky endeavors, but that's kick ass. 

So definitely check out www.darkerprojects.com.

NUMBER 2: Escape Pod, PodCastle, Pseudopod
All three podcasts are in relation to one another, one offering science fiction (Escapepod), one offering fantasy (Podcastle) and one offering horror (Pseudopod).  It's easy to say that if you're a science fiction, fantasy or horror writer/fanatic, then you've probably heard of these podcasts before.  They're immensely popular.  And well worth a visit on a weekly basis as they constantly offer audio fiction in the form of short stories.  Everyone seems to have a favorite . . . and I'll just say that I'm not upset Steve Eley quit hosting Escapepod, just as long as he promises to read any future anthropomorphic stories!  I highly recommend checking out: Escapepod Episode 169: How I Mounted Goldie, Saved My Partner Lori, and Sniffed Out The People’s Justice by Jonathon Sullivan.  If you don't laugh, then you're dead inside . . .

In which case you might wish to check out Pseudopod!  Or maybe even Podcastle (though I must admit that I'm growing rather weary of ancient eastern fables, plots and settings . . . I live in Ohio, dammit, and I love sushi, but enough is enough!)

NUMBER 3: Clone Pod
"Voices of the future, podcasting today's science fiction and fantasy!" - Clonepod.  How cool is this place . . . another science fiction and fantasy market, but controlled by children!  the hosts are a couple of kids who feature stories, but not necessarily stories for young adults.  It's pretty cool.  Sadly, however, the podcast as been on hiatus for well over a year and looks to be dismantled . . . so a mere 27 episodes is what's up for grab.

And there are many more.  I have also subscribed to podcasts such as The Drabble Cast, Metamor City, Transmissions From Beyond . . . but the about five are by far my favorites.  I posted them here because I always like to share anything I'm into and enjoy in hopes that someone else will like it and think that I'm cool!  So if you managed to stumble upon my blog, if you managed to come across this post, then definately check out the world of fiction-podcasting!






























No comments:

Post a Comment