Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I'm a writer now, huh?!

Well, of course I'm a writer.  I went to college and earned a degree in creative writing and I have spent many years developing a little portfolio(?) . . . catalogue(?) . . . of my work which only saw the light of day amidst friends and coffee-house literary cliches.  It has always been a dream of mine to be a writer, possibly even an accomplished one, but for years I feared the inevitable . . . 

Rejection.

After my first rejection, from a fairly big press publication (for which my ignorance of freelance writing was too blame), I was of course crushed.  Crushed so deeply that I went out and bought books on publishing, subscribed to literary magazines, took a two day course on publishing and read everything I could about this rough industry.  I don't remember a lot of what I read, for there are a lot of words inside my head and my brain is far too spastic, but one line that always stuck out to me (and I do believe I'm paraphrasing here): it takes the average writer 100 rejections before their first acceptance.

I didn't feel so crushed any more, but when rejection followed rejection which followed rejection, that crushed feeling started to creep back in.

Well, I'm proud to announce that it only took me 39 submissions before my first acceptance.  And currently, my 41st submission, has marked my third acceptance. 

Friend or Foe has been accepted by Golden Visions Magazine; Outside the Box has been accepted by Bards and Sages Quarterly; and Careful What You Wish For has been accepted by Title Goes Here:.

So I'm a writer now, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment